Search This Blog

Friday, January 31, 2014

Just a Camel

The second day in Jordan was one of the longest days I can remember. After getting through the canyon to the treasury, all the students were released for free time. I spent about eight hours walking, hiking, and climbing more stairs than I ever knew existed! By the end of the day my legs were sore and I could barely stand on my feet. The morning started out at about 11 degrees Celsius. But I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Now I could talk about the Monastery, the High Place, or other smaller locations like the amphitheater, many caves and countless other sites. Don't get me wrong, they made the trip. But you can't experience Petra through my words. I wouldn't do it justice. It isn't sight seeing, history, or hiking; it's an experience.

Instead, if you choose to indulge me, I want to talk about a mini highlight of my day. I got to ride a camel! It was only a short walk around the area, but I fell in love! For one thing, you cannot appreciate the size of a camel until you are standing next to it. They are big things! As they stand, and kneel back down you are tossed back and forth. I have a very priceless picture of my face when the camel knelt down to let me off. I won't be sharing that here. It was a very sweet camel, and I even paid him with a kiss when it was all over ;) Now that is an experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment