Search This Blog

Saturday, January 18, 2014

This is Israel

Last night I had a very cool opportunity. For starters, students aren't allowed in the Old City at night. However, last night was an exception. The Jewish Sabbath starts at sundown on Friday. We were given the chance to go to the Western Wall for the Sabbath and it was an amazing experience.

I had already stopped by the Western Wall on a previous day and put a prayer in the wall. Compared to that day, it was packed. There were so many people crowded up to the wall. There were groups singing and dancing. I even joined in one of the dance circles and pretended to sing songs I didn't know in a language that I also don't know. It was a blast!

What struck me most though, was the reverent spirit that was present. The thought occurred to me that this is Israel (the people from the Old Testament, not the place). These are God's people and He is patiently waiting for them to recognize it. He will be the Savior of Israel and they will come to know him. Still, the spirit was very much present. Between the sweet songs and the dancing, you could feel the gentle presence.


3 comments:

  1. Kinda reminds me of the scene in the movie "Tangled" where Rapunzel is dancing around in the town square during the festival :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you pretend to sing a song you don't know in a language you don't know? I guess all those drama classes did something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You pick out the random words you recognize and sing them!

      Delete