Search This Blog

Sunday, February 1, 2015

By Example

Looking back at my year in the Holy Land, one of my favorite times was  leaving there to go to Jordan. I've told you about Petra by Night and my experience riding a camel but more than my trivial adventures, I found Jordan to be a place of opportunity.

I got to spend the four days there with a new roommate. She was half the reason Jordan was so great.  She is one of the nicest, sweetest girls I know. More than that, I learned so much from her. As we embarked on this journey together, she was always by my side, making sure I wasn't left behind. We ate meals together and talked in our room. We our class went out, she would like her arm in mine, I admired her happiness, grateful for her new friendship. I learned a lot from her. As we arrived at the hotel the first night, she asked if I wanted to have roommate prayer. From there we proceeded to alternate morning and night and pray together. She was such a strength and example to me.

We should constantly be striving to be examples and lift and strengthen others. I told you how I felt bound and chained, unable to speak of my religion, but often found opportunity through song. This was no exception. The second half of my trip to Jordan was spent in Amman. The last night there some friends and I went out to rainbow street. On the way back we ran into more people from our class who were listening to some locals singing and playing guitar, something my teacher had raved about. It was fun to join in as we all sang with them. I didn't know most of the songs, but it's not something you get to do every night.

The best part though, is to say thanks, we all turned around and sang Nearer my God to Thee. I found it interesting that some of the locals in the crowd filmed US! I'd never been on that end before. It was neat to be able to share this small message; a common Christian hymn. But it was a step. A small moment to share the truth that we had. An opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment