Search This Blog

Sunday, February 8, 2015

The Alter of the Lord

This last week in Jerusalem, I would have returned from my field trip to the Valley of Elah. This field trip was particularly hard for me. Just as David faced Goliath here, I faced my own Goliath. The story is there for you to recount or read if you haven't before. Needless to say, it was probably the second most trying day during my study abroad, but the hardest decision I have ever had to make.

Just weeks before I left for Jerusalem, this choice weighed on my mind. While in Jordan, I sunk to my knees in desperate prayer to my Father in Heaven. I placed my decision
on the alter of the Lord and I pleaded to know what to do, confused about the situation at hand. While on my knees I realized what I wanted and that was my agency. Hard as it was, I came to my decision there. The following week, the night before my field trip, I put this choice into action. 

Using a sling and stones like David
Sometimes God asks us to sacrifice what is most important to us. Sometimes, it is a matter of faith and putting our trust in him. As it turned out, this devastating choice of mine didn't pan out how I imagined it would. It truly seemed to be a matter of trust and obedience, as it was confirmed to me in a blessing that I had made the right choice.

God asks hard things of us. But he only asks those things that he knows we can do. And really, if you think about it, with God we can do anything. With that in mind, God only asks of us those things which he is willing to help us achieve. These tests of faith help us increase our relationship with God as we learn and grow in knowledge and spirit; we must simply act.

As we take our most precious things  to the alter of the Lord, and sacrifice them, in His name, the blessings come. It isn't until we turn our whole being over God that we are able to serve in his name. After submitting our will to his, it is then that he can truly trust us.

No comments:

Post a Comment